Position: Associate Director of the Chinese Language Program
Description of the Organization
Designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders, Schwarzman Scholars is the first scholarship created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st Century. Whether in politics, business or science, the success of future leaders around the world will depend upon an understanding of China’s role in global trends.
Enrolling the inaugural class in 2016, the program will give the world’s best and brightest students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s Degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing – one of China’s most prestigious universities.
Students will live and study together on the campus of Schwarzman College, a newly-built, stateof-the-art facility, where all classes will be taught in English. Students will pursue degrees in one of three disciplines:
- Public Policy
- Economics and Business
- International Studies
Students will spend a year immersed in an international community of thinkers, innovators and senior leaders in business, politics and society. In an environment of intellectual engagement, professional development and cultural exchange, they will learn from one another and pursue their academic disciplines while building their leadership capacities. This experience will expand students’ understanding of the world and create a growing network of global leaders for the future.
The Schwarzman Scholars experience is anchored in a rigorous and innovative master’s degree program at Tsinghua University, one of the country’s leading universities. Drawing on the best traditions of Tsinghua and top academic institutions around the world, the curriculum bridges the academic and professional worlds to educate students about leadership and about China’s expanding role in the world. The program also provides Scholars with unparalleled learning opportunities with leaders from China and the world through high-level interactions at lectures, an internship program, a mentors network, and intensive deep-dive travel seminars.
Description of the Position
The Associate Director of the Chinese Language Program is responsible for the curriculum and instruction of the Chinese language program within the broader Schwarzman College academic program. This involves selecting, training, supporting, and evaluating language instructors in addition to designing and implementing the language curriculum. Additionally, the Associate Director monitors student progress, attendance, grading standards, and maintains academic records.
- Design and implement Chinese Language curriculum to maximize student language learning within the broader Schwarzman College academic program.
- Select and train Tsinghua Chinese language instructors. Provide periodic and ongoing training modules to ensure that teachers stay abreast of current teaching methodologies and are meeting student needs.
- Supervise and evaluate teaching, ensuring quality in all classes and consistent evaluative measures. Provide regular feedback to instructors.
- Maintain office hours and ensure that teachers meet individually with students when necessary to assess student progress.
- Design and establish entry placement exams incorporating both entry and exit OPI testing.
- Select appropriate textbooks and language-learning materials.
- Design and implement new language-focused activities, such as Chinese tables, as well as practica which support classroom goals.
- Monitor class attendance and grading standards.
- Maintain student academic files and records.
Requirements, in Order of Priority
- PhD in a relevant field, excellent candidates with an MA will be considered.
- Extensive Chinese language teaching experience.
- Teacher training experience.
- Administrative and managerial experience.
- Strong communication skills in English and Chinese.
- Familiarity with in situ Chinese language programs.
- Excellent people skills and an ability to cooperate.
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience
CET Academic Programs is proud to provide management consulting services to Schwarzman Scholars, based at Tsinghua University in Beijing (http://schwarzmanscholars.org/). In this capacity, CET seeks to assist in recruiting a talented team to implement and manage an unparalleled student life experience for Schwarzman Scholars. The inaugural class of Scholars arrives at Schwarzman College in the summer of 2016. Most student life staff will be on board by late 2015.
Qualified candidates should submit the following:
- Formal cover letter outlining the position to which you are applying, your qualifications and experience, and where you first heard about the position,
- List of three references,
- Salary History
Applications missing any of these components will not be considered. Applications must be received by September 15, 2015. Send application materials via mail or e-mail (as Word or PDF attachments) to: Adam Jones, Project Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org