- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Industry: Civil Rights / Legal Services
- Employer: Asian Americans Advancing Justice
Advancing Justice – LA seeks a full-time bilingual Legal Advocate (must be bilingual in Mandarin/English), to staff a legal helpline that expands access to justice for low-income limited English speaking immigrants. The Asian Language Legal Intake Program (ALLIP) is recognized nationally as a model for its innovation and its ability to expand legal representation and advice to Asian clients in Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Answer hotline calls from low-income, Chinese-speaking individuals;
- Assess legal matters, consult with Advancing Justice – LA attorneys and provide in-language counsel and advice over the phone for Family Law, Immigration, Employment, Housing and Consumer Rights;
- Provide brief services to callers with the support of a supervising attorney;
- Assist in the planning and execution of outreach activities to the Chinese community, including meeting with media and community based organizations;
- Assist in the development of and translation of written community outreach and education materials;
- Provide language support to other substantive units within the organization;
- Attend trainings on legal areas covered by the helpline;
- Support collaboration through referrals and service coordination; and
- Administrative duties, including inputting intakes into centralized database and filing closed intakes.
- Fluency in Mandarin and English, with strong ties to the local Chinese community (fluency in written Chinese and/or spoken Cantonese a strong plus);
- Dedication to serving immigrant communities and a sincere commitment to working on behalf of low-income immigrants;
- Ability to work independently, under general supervision;
- Strong preference for applicants with some knowledge and experience in at least two of the following legal areas: family, public benefits, housing, immigration, employment, or consumer;
- Valid driver’s license and/or access to alternative means of transportation.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources, Attn: Chinese Community Legal Advocate, Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles, 1145 Wilshire Blvd, 2nd Fl, Los Angeles, CA 90017, Fax: 213- 977-7595; e-mail: email@example.com